Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Phuket

Swim-up bar at the Phuket Orchid Resort.

The weather and tides kept us from diving yesterday, so rather than sit on Phi Phi watching the rain we decided to make our way to Phuket a day early to take advantage of the fancy pants resort here. I'd forgotten how nice air conditioning, hot water and toilets that flush when you press a little lever can be. The hotel is across the highway from Karon Beach on the western side of Phuket island. It's one of those fancy places that has big pools with swim-up bars.

Phuket itself is sort of tourist hell. Everything is expensive and covered in neon -- imagine Panama City Beach with Thai hookers and ladyboys. We ate dinner at at a Scandanavian restaurant last night. Their menu consisted of Thai food, pasta and pizza. But they did serve Aquavit, so I guess that makes them Scandanavian. The pizza was tasty.

I'll post some pictures when I can find a computer that's USB ports don't look diseased.

Enjoy.

3 comments:

Sarah Bailey said...

Wow. You make it sound so great, I wish I was there.

MaggieandBandit said...

Ladyboys? I'm there and Bandit needs a job.

Renee & Brian said...

Panama City - Ha - that's how I described Phuket (Patong), too!! But ya gotta love a good hand massage by a ladyman...